Sunday, September 6, 2009

Long weekends & reunions

So it hasn't been quite six months, but since I'm not really doing anything else right now, I figured it would be a good time to toss my thoughts out there into cyberspace.

—toss toss toss—

It's funny how when family gets together for long weekends or reunions (or both) that the normal patterns of household routines get tossed out the window. Meals come at odd times. Kids get to bed hours past their normal bedtime (and then stay up log after giggling and playing with their cousins when they're supposed to be sleeping). Parents visit, plan, visit, re-make plans, visit, and watch too many late-night movies.

At least that's what happens when we go out of town.

Not that I mind (except for the part where the kids finally go to sleep around 11 p.m. and are up before 6). It's a nice break from the normal.  It's fun to see the kids make memories with their cousins and hear the "Doesn't that remind you of..." stories from their aunts & uncles. That's what time with the family is supposed to be.

I appreciate spending time with family. It's a blessing to have so much family so close (even if that means driving for more than a few hours to see them). It's refreshing to have so many common goals and beliefs with so many diverse people—even if we don't see eye to eye on best sports teams or cheeses and such.

Thanks family!

1 comment:

Smunkee Mama said...

LOL!! I love you chansen! :) I am so glad you enjoy time with my family! I am looking forward to Halloween this year!!! It will be so fun for the kids to be with their other cousins! ;)